Dublin Central Area Councillors agreed to seek the public’s opinions and views on the proposals to formally remove through traffic along Capel Street. That public consultation launched today.
So, what’s proposed and why another consultation?
The key aspects of the proposed traffic management changes include:
• Permanent removal of vehicular access to Capel Street from Parnell Street.
• Delivery Access will be facilitated between 6am and 11am via Little Britain Street, Mary Street Little and Abbey Street Upper.
• Following the delivery window access to Capel Street will be prevented and bollards erected.
• Vehicular traffic will be permitted to travel along Abbey Street towards Mary’s Abbey and Chancery Street.
• Vehicular traffic travelling from Strand Street Great will continue to be permitted to cross Capel Street and along Strand Street Great towards Arran Street East and towards Parliament Street Bridge.
• Emergency Vehicular access will be maintained at all times.
Why a further consultation? Very simple. This consultation focuses on the actual changes to the management of traffic in and around the Capel Street area, i.e., how can the Council give affect to the clear wishes of Dubliners. There are almost 2300 people living in and immediately adjacent to Capel Street and coupled with the fact that these proposed traffic changes will impact the Markets community nearby, it is right for us to hear what local residents have to say in addition to the wider consultations held heretofore.
The public consultation will run until Monday, April 4th. Transportation Officials will compile a report on the submissions received and identify any specific issues arising for Councillors to consider at a Specially Convened meeting of the Dublin Central Area Committee set for the last week of April.
The City Council will then seek to implement the final list of measures adopted by Councillors in May.
I want to hear directly from you on this plan. Email me at RayMcAdam@gmail.com with your thoughts, opinions and views.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Fine Gael Councillor - North Inner City
Chair, Urban Form & Planning Strategic Policy Committee