Ray lives in Stoneybatter with wife, Niamh and their young son.
Ray was initially elected as the Fine Gael City Councillor for the North Inner City in 2009, the first Fine Gael representative in the area for twenty-four years and successfully re-elected in 2014 and 2019.
Ray is the Fine Gael Leader on Dublin City Council.
Ray also serves as the Chairman of the Council’s Planning & Urban Form Strategic Policy Committee. Among his priorities in this role, include:
- Reviewing the existing Dublin City Development Plan, in effect the planning rule book for our city and to begin the process of putting in place a new planning rule book from 2022.
- Better implementation of new short-term residential letting regulations.
- Advancement of new areas of Architectural Conservation.
Ray is a member of the Arts, Culture, Leisure & Recreation SPC, Dublin City Joint Policing Committee, the Health Services Executive (HSE) Regional Health Forum and the Docklands Oversight Committee.
Ray secured a renewed mandate in May 2019 on a platform that included:
- Delivering new and better housing in O’Devaney Gardens, Dominick Street, North King Street, Croke Villas, St. Mary’s Mansions.
- Delivering a dedicated Local Roads Improvement Programme across the North Inner City.
- Delivering a Footpath Enhancement Scheme across the North Inner City.
- Delivering and implement a ‘Naming & Shaming’ plan to tackle illegal dumping.