KNOW WHERE YOU STAND on O’DEVANEY GARDENS PLANNING APPLICATION
O’DEVANEY PLANNING APPLICATION LODGED:
I write to share with you information about the planning application that has been submitted to An Bord Pleanála by Bartra ODG Ltd in line with the decision taken by Dublin City Council in December 2019 to build public, affordable and homes for private purchase on the former O’Devaney Gardens site.
The decision to redevelop these lands in this way has proven controversial but I am pleased to report that the planning process for the proposal to deliver more than 1,000 homes has begun. I sought re-election and secured a larger mandate in the 2019 Local Elections on a platform that included a commitment to support the delivery of new and better housing on the O’Devaney Gardens site. Unlike most other local representatives, I continue to support plans to deliver more housing across our city. I want to share with you the details of the planning application. For they are just that. A planning application. One that must now be examined, considered and reviewed locally and where you have the opportunity to have your say on the particulars of the application and for An Bord Pleanála to make a final determination as to whether or not to grant planning permission.
Therefore, in this update, I have detailed for you.
- Key aspects of the planning application.
- The relevant administrative details you need to know about the planning application.
- The statutory meeting of City Councillors to consider the planning application.
- The timeframe for a determination to be made in respect of the planning application.
- Details of an online public meeting I am organising about the planning application.
KEY ASPECTS OF THE PLANNING APPLICATION:
- Construction of 9 Development Blocks, each ranging in height, up to a maximum of 14 storeys (the picture to the right, details the proposed layout), comprising:
Block 2: 5 – 6 storey apartment building with 74 apartments.
Block 3: 2 – 3 storey Creche facility with outdoor play space.
Block 4: Two storey terraced houses.
Block 5:4 – 9 storeys building with 294 apartments, retail space, community facility, and car-parking provision.
Block 6: 6 – 12 storeys building, with a part 2 storey element with 93 apartments.
Block 7: 6 – 14 storeys building with 264 apartments, retail space, café, and car-parking provision.
Block 8: 2 and 3 storey terrace houses, apartments, and duplex apartments.
Block 9: 6 – 10 storeys building with part 3 storey element facing Montpelier Gardens with 192 apartments.
Block 10: 6 – 12 storeys building with part 2 storey element facing Montpelier Park with 93 apartments.
- 1,047 homes to be delivered, comprising:
- 318x 1-bedroom apartments
- 555x 2-bedroom apartments
- 9x 3 person 2-bed apartments
- 546x 4 person 2-bed apartments
- 131x 3-bedroom apartments
- 23x 3-bedroom Houses
- 12x 2-bedroom Duplexes
- 8x 3-bedroom Duplexes
- Vehicular access will be via North Circular Road, Montpelier Gardens and Thor Place as is presently the case.
- New pedestrian & cycle link at Ross Street and Ashford Cottages.
- 276x Car-parking spaces.
- 2000x Bicycle parking spaces.
- Two public parks, including:
- Northern Park incorporating the Community Garden along Ashford Cottages and Ashford Place.
- Central Park with a Multi-Use Games Area.
- 2 – 3 storey Creche facility including outdoor play space.
- A Community Facility comprising of 157 square metres.
- 6x Retail spaces comprising of almost 1400 square metres.
- Demolition of existing ESB Sub-Station.
PLANNING REFERENCE NUMBER:
The Case No. assigned by An Bord Pleanála to this planning application is 310327. Make sure to include this case number in any submission you wish to make on the application.
PLANNING REGISTRATION DETAILS:
Officials in An Bord Pleanála have advised me that this planning application was lodged on May 25th, 2021. This follows on from the Board’s decision that the application is compliant with the SHD process. Should you wish to see the full application and all documentation submitted to An Bord Pleanála, it is available online at http://www.odg-shd.com. If you wish to lodge an observation on the planning application, it should be lodged in writing to Strategic Housing Unit, An Bord Pleanála, 64 Marlborough Street, Dublin 1, D01 V902 inclusive of the €20 fee on or before June 29th next. You can now also submit an observation on the application online via http://www.pleanala.ie/shd/applications/SHD_Obs_Online.htm. To do this, YOU MUST submit your Name and Address and have the submission lodged before 5.30pm on June 29th next.
STATUTORY MEETING INVOLVING CITY COUNCILLORS:
Part of the planning process under which this application has been submitted involves a statutory meeting of the Central Area Committee of Dublin City Council. The statutory meeting has not yet been scheduled but at that meeting, officials from the Planning Department will present the planning application to Councillors. We will then have an opportunity to make comments and contribute to the formal Chief Executive’s Report that will be submitted to An Bord Pleanála as part of the determination process. Therefore, as your local Councillor, I will have the opportunity to input directly into the submission of Dublin City Council.
WHEN IS A DECISION DUE TO BE MADE ON THIS PLANNING APPLICATION?
An Bord Pleanála is requested under the Planning & Development (Housing) and Residential Tenancies Act, 2016 to set an indicative date upon which a final decision is to be made as to whether planning permission is approved or not. I expect a decision to be made on this planning application by September 14th, 2021.
INVITATION TO A PUBLIC MEETING:
The redevelopment of the O’Devaney Gardens lands will have a significant impact on the wider local community. I have always said since you first elected me to represent you on Dublin City Council that the redevelopment of these lands must not occur in isolation from the rest of the community in Stoneybatter, Montpelier, Arbour Hill and Infirmary Road. What is built on these lands and how they are developed is of importance to us all. Therefore, I am organising an online Public Meeting to:
- Brief you further on the application
- Answer any questions or queries you may have
- Provide further details on the planning process
- Address any other matters associated with the redevelopment
This meeting will take place on Thursday, June 24th at 7.30pm. To attend, please email me at RayMcAdam@gmail.com to request a link a meeting. I hope this information is of assistance to you but do contact me if you have any specific questions or queries arising from the details provided by emailing me at RayMcAdam@gmail.com.
raymcadam View All
Fine Gael Councillor - North Inner City
Chair, Urban Form & Planning Strategic Policy Committee
Leave a Reply