#FLUvaccine – Protect Yourself, Protect Others this winter!
As a member of the HSE Regional Health Forum that includes the northside of Dublin, I received a presentation this week from the HSE Health & Wellbeing Section detailing this year’s Flu Vaccine initiative.
Given the circumstances we are in, getting the Flu Jab is a must to protect yourself and others from the seasonal flu virus and Covid-19.
Officials provided some startling figures about the impact the seasonal flu has had in Ireland over the years. Every year, between 200 and 500 people, mainly older people, die from the flu. The virus can cause serious complications such as pneumonia, especially in vulnerable or at risk groups. The Flu can also cause serious diseases in previously healthy people. During the course of the 2017 / 2018 winter, more than 4000 people were hospitalised with flu and 191 were admitted to Intensive Care units across the country.
So, who is at risk of flu?
- People aged 65 years and over
- Pregnant women
- People with long-term medical conditions such as diabetes, heart disease, liver, kidney disease, cancer, chronic lung disease including COPD, or neurological diseases.
- People whose immune system is impaired due to disease or treatment including cancer patients.
- People who are obese or who have a body mass index of over 40.
- People with Down Syndrome
- Residents of nursing homes and other long stay institutions.
- Healthcare workers.
- Carers and household contacts of people at medical risk of the complications of flu.
- People with regular close contact with poultry, waterfowl or pigs.
Why is Flu Vaccine so important?
Vaccination is the single most effective way of preventing the spread of flu.
#FLUvaccine availability this year
The vaccine is free to all at risk groups from your GP or local pharmacy, including:
- Over 65s.
- Children aged between 2 and 12 years old.
- Those with long term conditions.
- Those caring for people with a long-term health condition.
- People with Down Syndrome.
- Healthcare workers.
With the Covid pandemic still ongoing and at a time where our health system continues to be under great pressure, getting the #FluVaccine is the best means of protecting yourself and everyone else from the flu.
Arbour Hill, Ballybough, Broadstone, Church Street, City Centre, Clonliffe Road, Constitution Hill, Drumcondra, East Wall, Fine Gael, Grangegorman, Markets, Montpelier, North Circular Road, North Strand, North Wall, Phibsborough, Quays, Rathdown Road, Smithfield, Stoneybatter
raymcadam View All
Fine Gael Councillor - North Inner City
Chair, Urban Form & Planning Strategic Policy Committee
Leave a Reply