The Government, following last week’s announcement detailing the easing of Public Health restrictions associated with the pandemic, has provided more information about the gradual reopening of some road safety services provided by the Road Safety Authority and the driving instruction industry from the 10 May 2021.
The following has been decided, including:
- Initial Basic Training (IBT), the programme of mandatory lessons that all learner motorcyclists must complete with an Approved Driving Instructor (ADI) before sitting a driving test, can resume from 10 May.
- The Road Safety Authority (RSA) will continue to deliver motorcycle testing.
- Essential Driver Training (EDT) sessions will recommence for those essential workers who have not completed EDT from 10 May. (up to now, under level 5 restrictions no EDT sessions were allowed). The RSA will also reopen its EDT Online Portal, on 10 May, to allow Approved Driving Instructors (ADIs) to upload EDT sessions completed by essential workers.
- Driving tests for essential workers will continue to be the priority for the driver testing service. In line with the gradual reopening of services, driving tests for all those who are eligible to take the test and have been waiting longest will recommence in a limited fashion. The further opening of the driver testing service will be the subject of discussions between Department officials and the RSA in the coming week. It is expected that the earliest invitations will start to be issued to these customers will be later in May.
- National Driver Licence Service (NDLS) centres will continue to remain open for essential workers only until 17 May, when they will re-open for all customers. NDLS customers who have a Public Services Card or MyGovID can apply online at ndls.ie.
Get in touch with me if you have any questions or queries about the information above or experiencing any difficulties in engaging with the Road Safety Authority.
Arbour Hill, Ballybough, Broadstone, Church Street, City Centre, Clonliffe Road, Constitution Hill, Drumcondra, East Wall, Fine Gael, Grangegorman, Markets, Montpelier, North Circular Road, North Strand, North Wall, Phibsborough, Quays, Rathdown Road, Smithfield, Stoneybatter, Transportation
Fine Gael Councillor - North Inner City
Leader, Fine Gael, Dublin City Council
Chair, Urban Form & Planning Strategic Policy Committee