On 26th October 2018 an application was submitted to An Bord Pleanala for the development in accordance with Section 175 of the Planning and Development Act 2000 as amended.
The Proposed Parnell Square Cultural Quarter Development, including the new Dublin City Library and Public Realm Works with a site area measuring c.0.99 hectares comprises in summary:
– The adaptive re-use of Nos. 20-21 and Nos. 23-28 (former Colaiste Mhuire school, all Protected Structures) Parnell Square North for library and cultural use and ancillary restaurant.
– The construction of a new 5-storey over basement extension with roof gardens (c.5,720 sq m gross floor area), for library and cultural use.
– The total gross floor area of the existing and new buildings amounts to c.11,198 sq.m.
– Improvement works to the public realm, including reconfiguration of vehicular roadway (2-lane), parking and set down areas, street furniture, street art and public lighting, widening of footpaths, and relocation of Dublin Bikes Station, at Parnell Square North, to facilitate a new public realm area in the area contained between Parnell Square West and East and the Garden of Remembrance.
– Modifications to Bethesda Place and Frederick Lane North to facilitate access by service and emergency vehicles to Frederick Lane North.
Full details in relation to the proposed development and the EIAR (Environmental Impact Assessment Report are available to view here: